Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Week 8 - Summary

The Shaw Shower Management System (SSMS) is an entrepreneurial, innovative idea designed to eliminate the waste of time that residents of Shaw Hall experience while waiting in line to take a shower.  Over the course of eight weeks, the idea has evolved from the infancy stages to a concept that could actually be implemented.  I have strategized about how spreadsheets could help manage the system data, discussed the various hardware components necessary to make the system possible, explored different ways for users to interact with the system, considered the importance of computer networks and noted the various operating systems that could be deployed.  Specifically, I have decided to implement a web portal as the system's primary interface and offer an interactive kiosk in the actual bathroom.  I also met with several of my friends and the Graduate Assistant for Entrepreneurship to discuss my idea and brainstorm ways to improve it.

Even though our project comes to a close this week, there are still ways that I can continue to develop the SSMS.  If I choose to actually pursue this idea, the next steps could include typing up a formal "technology plan", complete with a listing all of the necessary hardware and software components necessary to put my project into action.  I could also work with a Web developer to begin work on the interactive, online interface.

The topics covered in IST 195 have been relevant to my entrepreneurial idea and valuable to my education as an Information Management and Technology major.  Although I do have an existing background in computing, I have certainly learned a few things over the past eight weeks.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the Blog Project, and think it's important to take time each week to express my thoughts on the Internet.  This type of content has value, both to the technology industry and to me personally.

Finally, I also wrote about a blog that covers all things related to Apple Computer.  This particular exercise encouraged me to find such a blog, read it and write a response.  Without this assignment, I would not have sought out this excellent resource.  However, I now enjoy reading articles posted by the "professional blogger" and will often take time to read his latest discussion on Apple products as I eat breakfast.

The final part of our first project was to read and comment on a few of our peers' blogs.  Please find links to my thoughts below!

No comments:

Post a Comment